See the Calendar for dates of upcoming workshops.
Please see comments page to hear how others have benefited from this work.
Learning to improvise can be a journey of self-discovery. As you learn to trust and follow your spontaneous impulses you will discover the path to your own, musical heart!
Who is it for?
- anyone who would like to tap into their own unique sound and experience more freedom and creative expression in their singing.
- inexperienced singers, looking for skills and vocal technique
- singers of any style who would like to experience more freedom and authenticity in their sound
- choir singers who want to sing outside of the written song
- songwriters who are feeling stuck or would like to develop new musical ideas
- experienced singers who want to keep their chops up and free their voice of old habits
- anyone who would like to use sound to connect to inner worlds
Laurel Murphy has offered many workshops over the years, focusing on different aspects of improvisation and vocal skills:
The Spontaneous Voice
An introduction to vocal improvisation. Laurel will guide the group through interactive and solo exercises designed to open a cosmos of possibility, intentionality and artistry. Lift off requires only two things: a willingness to sing past your fears and to have a good time!
Exploring the meditative and magical qualities of Tibetan bowls and the Indian shruti box as support and inspiration for the voice. Allowing pure vibration to carry us toward our own authentic impulse.
Singing on the Edge
Exploring the voice as instrument and learn to fly free, trusting your musical instincts! Working with a variety of playful exercises we will demystify music and find new ways to express our own unique sound. Looking at rhythm and harmony, vocal technique, texture and text, we will develop musical awareness and learn to let go into the unknown. Levels One, Two and Advanced.
Sound Journeys Introductory Class
Based on Laurel’s healing sound work since 2004. In this series, we will learn to use the voice in conjunction with Tibetan bowls and a variety of atmospheric instruments with the focus of connecting energetically, deep listening and development of intuition and intention.
For singers who would like to dive in and take advantage of the depth and continuity that a full weekend or week of singing provides. These workshops can be designed for singers of all levels, in or outside of Vancouver. Week long workshops may be tailored to suit the group and location.
Elements of Rhythm – Learn to clap notated rhythms, strengthen your time-keeping ability and understanding of common time signatures.
Basic Harmony- scales, interval training, and basic theory.
Sightreading for Singers – Participants start by recognizing and singing intervals, harmonies and rhythmic notation.